Changing the Windows Amazon Cloud Drive app sync folder

Amazon just released the first version of their Windows app to sync Amazon Cloud Drive.  It’s very much a first version, with no ability to pause/resume sync, sync selective folders, or even (as far as I can see) a way of changing the default sync folder.

imageWhen I displayed the options dialog, I assumed that all you had to do was click on the location to change it, but that simply opens the folder in the Explorer.

It chose the smallest drive on my machine (of course), but I found a way to change it.

Do this entirely at your own risk, and if you don’t know what this means, then don’t do it.  You can use regedit to change the sync folder’s location, under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazon\AmazonCloudDrive\SyncRoot" change “SyncRoot” to a different folder.

image

Works for me, but no guarantees.

35 thoughts on “Changing the Windows Amazon Cloud Drive app sync folder

1. damian Post author

Hi Olli, I’d suggest steering clear of using the Registry Editor if you are not familiar with it, since it is very easy to mess up a computer by accident by deleting/modifying the wrong thing. Hopefully Amazon will add a UI to do this soon.

2. Robin

Hey Olli,

You should search for HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareAmazonAmazonCloudDrive, so without the SyncRoot part.

When it finds that, one of the keys in the list is the SyncRoot key.

3. Kevin

Definitely a LIFESAVER here. IN addition, you have given me a new tool in my arsenal to fight against situations where the “Company” decides things cannot be fixed. I find this MORONIC that Amazon feels it is adequate to place the Cloud dirve on the boot partition. All systems I build use a SSD for the boot volume, and that space is at a premium, although prices have been coming down as of late.

Be Well,

Kevin

4. PedroStephano

Worked great first time (psst what I did was close the ACD app, do the regedit, then reopen the app -> cloud sync occurred instantly to that new folder. Ace)

5. Pingback: Forget Cloud Drive, let's try OneDrive - LinLog

6. paolo

The app have changed name to Amazon Drive and it is at version 4 and i cant find anymore the setting to change in the registry. HAve you any suggestion how to change the folder sync location with the new app ? ty 🙂

7. mike

Im on windows 10 and do not have a reg key Amazon* under -current user software- . I found a few amazon entries by searching for amazon and changed a few paths to the drive I want to move it to, but upon reboot it still goes to C:Users……Amazon drive
    Any ideas?

8. Simon

For windows users check C:Users{USERNAME}AppDataRoamingAmazon Cloud Driveamzn1.account.{yourid}-settings.json and change the “SyncPath”

9. Ian

Thanks for sharing that new json location in v4, it worked for me. Note the “\” to the special character “” in the json.
    I approve of moving this out of the registry but c’mon Amazon this should be in the UI Preferences…

10. Steven

Thank you, Simon. I spent 20 minutes poking through the registry trying to figure out where Amazon had moved the key. Instead of wasting more time, I scrolled down into the comments instead. Read the Whole F Manual – or at least the index – before getting started.

Damian needs to update this article.

11. Paul

Simon, if I’ve understood this correctly I assume the json file needs to be edited to change the SyncPath to a new location. Is that correct? If so, how do I edit the json file?

12. Ken

@Paul

Right click and choose OPEN or double click the file. It will then say there are no programs to open this type of file. It should then ask if you want to open it with an installed program. Choose notepad. Then edit to hearts content.

Thanks @Simon for the tip.

13. Dick

@Simon

What about seeking a path below,
    /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Amazon Cloud Drive
    and open
    amzn1.account.#########-settings.json
    with text editor?

14. Slobodan Lohja

Windows 7
    Amazon Drive About Me Version 5.0.11.ab4ed4be

Folder: C:\Users{username\AppData\Roaming\Amazon Cloud Drive
    File: amzn1.account.{UUID}-settings.json

This format worked for me “SyncPath”:”/E/Amazon Drive”