BeebMC – BBC Radio addin for Windows Media Center

I’ve developed a small  BBC Radio Media Center addin mainly for my own use, which I’m making available here for free for anyone else that wants it.

[I’ve since posted a new version of BeebMC here . It supports “Listen Again”.   I recommend going to this posting to read about it and download it.]

There are a couple of restrictions:

• Your need Real Player installed
  • You need version 3.5 of the .NET framework installed.  It is available here if you don’t have it (or if you are not sure).
  • It will not work with Extenders, since the BBC streams using Real Audio.

I can’t promise a lot of support, but reply here if you have problems using it and I’ll help if I can.

Once installed you’ll find it under the Music menu:

image

Click on a channel to play that channel:

image

You can customize it by editing the Channels.xml file you will find under C:\ProgramData\Atadore\BeebMC. Add channels by adding a Channel element with the appropriate description, picture and URL for playing the channel.

image

24 thoughts on “BeebMC – BBC Radio addin for Windows Media Center

1. Pingback: Ian Dixon's Blog : BeebMC - BBC Radio addin for Windows Media Center

2. Pingback: Ian Dixon's Blog : Damian Meher: Screencast on creating a simple Media Center application

3. Pingback: BeebMC Plugin - BBC Radio for Media Center

4. Stuart

Hi Damian.

I can stream BBC Radio stations to my extenders and I don’t need Real Player installed on the PC either, which is a good thing in my book.

I’m just using the Web Media plug-in for Media Center and the actual URL media streams of the radio stations i.e. BBC Radio 1 = http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/realmedia/1xtra.asx

I used URL Snooper 2, program to sniff the network and pick out the URL media streams.

Maybe you could look in to this for your application?

Web Media plugin:

5. Trev

Thanks Damian,
    Should I be able to pause/stop the player using the remote control? The only way I seem to be able to stop the BBC stream, is by closing Media Centre. Even if I play music, or TV the stream continues to play.

6. Trev

Sorry – yes, ‘back’ works fine. I think I tried every button except that one. I have just installed version 2.0 – thank you!

7. Mark

Hi Damian great work…while your looking after the two kids…

is it possible to add the scroll arrows i am using wmc with a touch screen whole house audio system… I am finding it difficult to scroll through the listen again

cheers

Mark

8. Syed

Dear Damian,

I downloaded the BBC Radio MCBEEB Application Zip Folder, and deployed the same to the WMC. Addin is deployed, but not to the Music Menu, to the Online Media Menu. I am Unable to select between two radio channel using the Xbox Remote Control. Can you please guide me how to make the remote control work, and how to deploy this addin under music menu.

Thanks
    Syed

9. Syed

Hi Damian,

Thanks a lot for your very quick help. This is working fine, i am able to navigate with xbox remote control and the addin is deployed under music menu. I am the beginner on this technology, Can you please guide me, how to start with development on this platform. Can you please reference me books or any videos by which i can start development on self. Will be thankful to you for this kind favor.

Thanks again
    Syed

10. dmehers

Hi Mark,

I did see it — still working on 64 bit support (didn’t work as easily as I’d hoped) — then I’ll get on to looking at it.

Cheers,
    /Damian

11. Ben

Hi Damian.
    Just watched your 2 webcasts on Media Center development and its the first place that I’ve seen any decent explanations of whats happening.
    Where did you learn about MCE development? Any good books you could recommend.
    Also, do you know if it is possible to open an external application from within VMC (like a shell command)? I’d like to be able to open an external media player within Media Center. I’d preferably like to host the application within VMC itself but if not just being able to invoke the application to open externally would be better than nothing. Any idea how to do that?
    thanks

12. dmehers

Hi Mark,

Do you mean the Channels.xml file? You’ll need to change its properties to make it writable, and then you can edit it with Notepad.

/Damian

13. Mark

what program do you use to edit the xml file… i tried notepad and it doesn’t let me save as xml extension
    cheers
    mark

14. dmehers

Hi Mark,

In notepad when you are in the Save dialog, if you change the extension that is shown to be “*.*” instead of “*.txt” then you should see all the files and can then select the xml file to overwrite it.

/Damian

15. Tore

Hello
    I have tried BeebMC, but I only get an ‘Illegal program’ message when trying to start it. I have the latest Real player and .Net version.
    I have been unable to find any references to what is actually the reason for an’Illegal program message’.

Do you have any idea.